Sunday, March 29, 2009

Original Phone Games

It seems that somehow I deleted the original phone game post, so I'll rewrite that story today.


One evening when hubbie and I were arguing over the evil JB and even more evil FIL (who he still does not realize were evil), he accused me of pretending that I didn't hear them when they call. I just accused him of lying. He said, you have answered the phone and said "hello" a few times then hung up. I've called them later the same evening and they would say "Oh, I you got your phone fixed.... we called earlier and your wife couldn't hear us."

Then I started thinking about it. Maybe it wasn't him lying, it was the ILs lying. Sometimes I would get dinner time phone calls where whoever was on the other end didn't say anything. I didn't think too much of it. It did not happen very often. Tape-delayed telemarketer, kid with wrong number? We didn't have caller id so I really didn't know. It was not often enough to get paranoid about it or connect it.

After that whenever the phone would ring and nobody would say anything, I'd treat it as if it was the ILs on the other end doing just that. If hubbie was around, I'd hand him the phone and say "whoever it is won't say anything." If he wasn't around, when he got home, I would say "call your parents." He'd say "why, did they call." I'd say "somebody called, but whoever it was didn't say anything." Funny thing is I think he did start believing me because he did not argue.

Finally a few months later, I got one of those phone calls about 5:30 pm. When hubbie got home, again I told him to call home, that whoever was there didn't say anything. About an hour later, the ILs call (again) to tell hubbie that niece had her baby. I knew that he was talking to them, so I was in the next room yelling at the top of my lunghs "mighty damn funny!!!" over an over again.

After that, he started exclusively communicating with them over the cell phone. The hangup calls at dinner time did slow down a whole lot (a whole lot being from 2 or 3 a month to 2 or 3 a year). There have been hangup calls at other times. I still got paranoid, but kept telling myself that I shouldn't.


The more recent ones were more like they were annoy me rather than tyring to get hold of him. They came at times that he was not going to be home.

But guess what, maybe I should have.
I have not had one hang-up call since before JB died!
And it's coming up on three months.
To quote myself all those years ago, "Mighty Damn Funny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment