Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thousands of Dollars in Tupperware

I wrote about going through JB's Tupperware and the smell getting to me.

Now, I am realizing more. There were six bags of Tupperware plus the "hostess kit" which had all kinds of strange gadgets. As I was searching the web for what some of these gadgets might be, I was coming across some of the items and how much they originally cost.

There is at least enough in each bag to have cost $1000 new. And the stuff in the bags is a drop in the bucket compared to what this woman had in Tupperware. She didn't have all the various kinds of eating plates in there. None of the oven stuff or microwave stuff. Really, none of the stuff that I remember seeing. If it was made by Tupperware in the 1980s and 1990s, she had at least one of them. WHY???? Why, for example, did she have not one, but two dill pickle holders in the stuff that hubbie brought home? And how many more did she have.

I can really think of lots of things that she had that would have filled those bags several times over. There were canister sets, baby toys, and all kinds of gadgets and gizmos. I would bet there was $50k in Tupperware in that house, not in value, but in what she spent on it. She had to pay for what she had herself. She also had to pay for the stuff that she had in her kit. Guess that's why she had at least two of a lot of stuff. She had some to take to parties and just as much again to use. Then there is the Tupperware that she gave away during her lifetime.

She also had to pay for all supplies used to sell Tupperware. Including a per item price for the order forms and catalogs. She also had to pay for the "hostess gifts" and door prizes given away at the parties. She had to eat the price herself of Tupperware that did not get paid for by customers.

Most months, she sent them money.

It would not make me mad if this had just been in her estate and she had squandered away hubbie's and SIL's inheritances on it. But during the time she was at the peak of being involved with Tupperware was also the time that hubbie was at the peak of supporting her.
I had once figured over $100K that he gave spent on them for things like the mortgage, cars, major appliances, etc. Now we can add half as much again for it. All the money that she spent on Tupperware, whether her own or hubbie's could have gone towards paying her living expenses and other expenses that she expected my hubbie to pay for her.

2 comments:

  1. My MIL does something similar, she collects plastic bags though. If you went to her place you would find in every file cabinet, every dresser, every nightstand, even spaces in the pantry and in the kitchen drawers....she has them jammed full of plastic bags. She also keeps every container she has ever had, even the bottles that the doctors give you to pee in for tests....yep, MIL has even kept these. If you are finishing a bag of milk and put the plastic bag in the garbage, MIL will watch you like a hawk and fetch the milk bag from whereever you put it and add it to her bag collection. And Yeah, it does smell now that I think of it when you open a drawer.

    There are similarities between the MILs sometimes that are really interesting to me and this actually one of them. I can only imagine what I will post when mine finally dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be really mad thinking about *your* money she spent on tupperware. All those MLM things are scams, and it's sad to me that so many military spouses do it. They all lose money, and it's annoying being hounded by them.

    My MIL takes photos constantly with disposable cameras. Then she gets doubles or triples of the photos made and just shoves them in drawers. Not organized, not sorted, and she doesn't throw away the over exposed or bad photos. Just keeps them all piled up in drawers. She said to me (back when I was in her good graces?) "One day when I'm dead, you'll be glad I took all these photos". No, I don't think I will be.

    ReplyDelete